Our Nutrition and Skin Clinic specializes in helping patients to use alternative treatments for Psoriasis, particularly if conventional medicine has had no long term benefit.
These are some top tips for Psoriasis suffers:
1. Get tested Have you considered the health of your gastrointestinal tract? Do you have any problems with bloating, bowel habits, loose bowels? If so you may benefit from doing a laboratory test to ensure that you have adequate levels of healthy gut bacteria (such as Lactobacillus or Bifidobacteria). You should also check that do not have a yeast overgrowth such as candida. If you have taken many antibiotics in the past or consume a diet that is high in sugar or alcohol you may need to change your eating habits. We provide comprehensive laboratory testing in our clinic and use the latest tests developed in the USA.
2. Check to see if you have any Food Intolerances Many patients complaining of skin and digestive problems have found that the removal of gluten- (wheat, pasta, bread, spelt, cakes) and dairy and in cases yeast from their diets improves their symptoms quite dramatically. We provide food intolerance testing at our clinic and elimination diets.
3. Detox The third area that needs to be considered is toxicity. How toxic are you ? Alcohol and sugar can be a big trigger for Psoriasis. There is almost certainly a link between the patients who drink lots of alcohol and the severity of their symptoms. If your diet consists of refined foods such as toast, pasta, and biscuits this may make your symptoms worse.
4. Eat Whole Foods There are a number of foods I recommend to help reduce the inflammation and help you detox. these include anti-inflammatory foods such as fish, nuts and seeds and fruits and vegetables such as chard, spinach, kale and artichokes.
5. Take the correct Supplements- I recommend pharmaceutical grade supplements such as zinc, fish oils, glutamine, probiotics. You will need to make sure that these are high quality and in the right doses.
6. Stress Reduction Techniques– I work with my patients to find some calming exercises including yoga/mediation to help them find their center and remain grounded.
Read a Success story
John came to see me because he suffered from chronic psoriasis and also has terrible sinus infections. He told me he had been given repeated bouts of antibiotics by his doctors for several years. I tried to understand the triggers behind his symptoms and began investigating different potential causes including allergens, toxicity and possible infections – all possible causes of psoriasis.
I asked John to do a stool test. The results revealed that John had low levels of Lactobacillus (low healthy gut bacteria) even though he had been drinking Yakult for years. The stool test also revealed ta major yeast overgrowth in his intestine- this was probably due to the antibiotics that he had taken as a child and also in his recent years. John also had fungus on his toe-nails and scalp. I checked to see if he had any food intolerances and John removed dairy and gluten from his diet.
I asked John to follow an anti-candida diet, to remove alcohol and sugar from his diet. I gave John some anti-fungals as well as high quality probiotic to re-populate his gut with friendly flora. I also worked on his immune system by giving him zinc, fish oils and vitamin D. I asked John to eat a diet high in anti-inflammatory foods such as fish, vegetables and fruit.
The next time John came to see me, he revealed that the first week of the diet was very hard. He had terrible withdrawal symptoms but now he was delighted and could not thank me enough. He told me that not only had his skin improved but he has also lost a stone in weight, his sinuses were much better and he had far more energy and clarity that he had in 10 years.
For an appointment please call our clinic 0345 129 7996.