If you have been diagnosed with Candida, it is important to manage your diet carefully as Candida feeds off of sugar and yeast. Therefore if you keep on eating sugar and yeast the candida will grow.
This article will give the step by step instructions on dietary treatment for candida and exactly what foods to eat and what foods to avoid if you have been diagnosed with Candida or yeast infections. Generally you should follow this diet for 2-3 months. By following the diet you will be able to starve the yeast.
1. Avoid all foods containing Sugar. Anything ending in ose is likely to contain sugar. So be careful of glucose, maltose, dextrose. Read all labels carefully.
2. You must avoid cakes, biscuits, chocolate, honey, maple syrup, sugary breakfast cereals, cereal bars, snack bars, protein bars
3. You must avoid raisins, figs, dates and any type of dried fruit.
4. You must avoid fruit- ideally you should have none during the first month of the diet but if you are eating plenty of vegetables this should be fine. After the 1st month of the diet good fruits to have are blackberries, blackcurrants, strawberries, raspberries, bilberries, blueberries and apples.
5. You must avoid all fruit juices as even though these contain natural sugars (fructose), they still feed the yeast.
6. You must also avoid Yeast. Yeast is found in most breads and cakes, yeasted biscuits/crackers. Always read the label. Sourdough bread should be fine unless you have a gluten intolerance.
7. Beware of alcohol. You should avoid beer and wine as they have been fermented. If you must drink (only occasionally), you could have vodka or gin with slim-line tonic or tomato juice.
8. All stock cubes are to be avoided unless yeast free. Also Yeast extracts (e.g. Marmite, Vegemite, Bisto, Bovril, Oxo must be avoided.
9. Other foods to avoid include Vinegar/soy sauces/miso/tofu/tempeh – these have all been fermented. Small amounts of raw cider vinegar are ok.
10. Brown rice should be eaten in preference to white rice wherever possible. Brown pasta is better than white pasta. Quiona and Millet and Buckwheat are wonderful grains.
Special Anti-Candida Foods
Incorporate liberal amounts of the following into your diet:
- Olive oil – contains oleic acid which is anti-fungal
- Raw garlic – allicin in raw garlic is also a potent anti-fungal
- Aftrer a couple of weeks on an anti-candida diet oyou may also need to take some anti-fungal supplements to fully eardicate the yeast.
Special Anti-Candida Supplements for treatment of candida
These include caprylic acid, oregano oil, garlic, probiotics
You should see a Nutritionist to help you.
Main Ingredients for Meals
- Fresh fish and seafood
- Lean meats
- Organic eggs
- Green vegetables
- Legumes, beans and pulses such as lentils
- Fresh nuts and seeds
- Yeast free breads made of non-wheat grains such as German rye bread or ordinary rye bread which contains little or no yeast
- Vegetable juices (alternative to fruit juices)
For more information about Candida have a look at:
If you would like a nutrition consultation please call is now on 0845 129 7996 Contact us